Location

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.” - Marcel Proust

____________


The world is your oyster. My fortune to grow up in a great New England town provided a good life but after seeing the beaches of Florida to the mountains of Arizona by age 16 I was compelled to see much of the world.

Greece, Singapore, the Maldives, Thailand and Japan were some of my favorite places in the world with excellent culture. Going forward it's clear Asia is where the future action will be economically but the great secular boom in global businesses with hard capital will also benefit South America. My travels to Montevideo with my cousin in 2002 helped change my life and our trip up the Uruguayan coast to surf Punta del Diablo was extraordinary. I remember how terrible I was surfing on a Tropical Brazil board when 2 guys from Porto Alegre asked me in Portuguese what I was doing in the line-up... Far from home... Responding respectfully I stated en Espanol - 'Lo siento. No habalo  Inglés.' Humility, respect and a little humor often helps the contrarian traveler.

After 17 years of consistent travel back to South America, Manantiales, Uruguay has become my second home. The small coastal town wasn't considered the most premiere place a decade ago as I continued to research the coast north of Punta del Este. Past trips often required sleeping in cheap hotels to the 'odd surf chateau' Hertz rental car with a continual 'boots on the ground' approach. In 2006/7 I acted upon two homes in specific areas with plans for a larger future. Finding a home base in the world has been essential as I plan to live and conduct business in two different hemispheres. 

If someone told me 20 years ago I would be living in Encinitas, California and surfing / paddling the coast here while building a future in a specific beach in South America I may not have believed it. Dreams can still be achieved in 2019 and into the future for those willing to take a chance.

Never stop charging efficiently.

Cristóbal

“To see things in the seed...” - Lao Tzu



Comments

Popular Posts